Ok, well, Friday night through mid day saturday i was playing soul cradle, until i got to a really hard part and took a break for a while. I fired up R-Type Final and decided to see if i could FINALLY beat a few levels on “R-Typer” mode. Took me a while but after i got back into the swing of things i managed to clear levels 1 and 2 on that mode, level 1 perfectly with no missed shots, no lost lives
This gave me a cool idea for a UT2k4 weapon.
Had no other plans this weekend (thank god, first one in a while) so i pretty well have been up since saturday night now, just now putting some polish on my new creation. Here’s the lowdown…
The “Bit Gun” is primarily a support weapon, no so much used on it’s own but used along with other weapons. The gun has 2 fire modes.
1. Deploy Bit (MAX 2)/ Use Ability (only when powered)
2. Switch Deployment/Ability mode
Primary fire deploys a bit. What type of bit it is depends on what mode the gun is, which is set with the secondary fire. I origionally named them like the R-Type ones (Round Bit and Shadow Bit) but for the sake of all the UT’rs that haven’t played R-Type i simplified it a bit. The offensive bit and the defensive bit. Primary fire also activates specials. Specials can be fired once you have enough energy to fire them, so long as bits are deployed you gain energy, defensive bits build up your defensive energy, offensive bits build up your offensive energy (there’s an indicator that shows up on your hud once you have bits deployed) Both Types have 3 levels of specials, which can be fired at 33,66,and 100% energy levels. If both bits you deploy are the same type, you accrue that energy type twice as fast.
After deploying, the bits follow you around, trying to hang near your sides, aside from using specials you no longer need to have the bit gun out. Defensive bits will lower the amount of damage you recieve when hit, so long as you have defensive energy of course (each hit, depending on how hard, drains your defensive energy). Offensive bits pick the closest target and fire at it whenever you fire your weapon, so long as you have offensive energy which drains away from each shot they fire.
Note: to build 100% energy on default settings takes about 2.5 minutes if you never fire a shot (or never get hit for defensive). During actual combat, if you’re conservitive and a good player it would more than likely take about 4-5 minutes staying alive with bits out (energy does not carry between spawns). All specials also cost 1 Bit from your ammo reserve.
Offensive Bit Specials:
1. Nova Rocket – kind of like a modified, mini redeemer. Fast, can’t be shot down, hits a wide area, but not as much damage as a standard redeemer (Cost 100% Off Energy)
2. Gravity Wave – idea of this one from final fantasy, i never understood why gravity would do this either.. but hey it’s cool. A purple energy builds onto all enemy players visible, crushing them down to 50% of whatever their health was, ignoring all defeses or damage reduction (Cost 66% Off Energy)
3. Gigantic Rocket – was a placeholder but i kept it because it’s just that damn funny. It’s a really big, slow moving rocket launcher rocket that causes massive damage, but small splash. Devastating if you can hit someone.(Cost 33% Off Energy)
Defensive Bit Specials:
1. Omega Heal – Heals everyone on your team to full health and shield, no matter where they are on the map (Cost 100% Def Energy)
2. Valiant Retreat – Heals yourself fully and teleports you to a random location on the map with 5 seconds of invulnerability(Cost 66% Def Energy)
3. Full Heal – Heals yourself to 100% health and shield(Cost 33% Def Energy)
Could use some custom models and texture’s but I’m no good at that stuff, but here’s the download
There’s an ini included for you to configure it a bit.
BitLaserAccuracy : Size of the aim area for the lasers. 1=OMGAIMBOT 5020=it shoots…somewhere in the world, not necessarily at the target. Default 128
DefensiveChargeRate : How fast you gain defensive energy. 0.05 = 5 minutes till 100% 1.0 = 15 seconds to 100% Default 0.1
OffensiveChargeRate : How fast you gain offensive energy. 0.05 = 5 minutes till 100% 1.0 = 15 seconds to 100% Default 0.1
BitLaserDamage : Amount of damage each hit with the laser does. 1 = Barely a scratch 1000 = instagib Default 4
Oh, and the mutator isn’t necessary to use the guns, it’s just for replacement. Arena or any other weapon replacement mutator will work with this. (there’s a secondary hidden mutator that gets loaded as a dependency when the gun is added, don’t worry, i designed it to work with RPG so it’s added in a way that it’s code gets executed first and RPG gets the last call.)
It’s got a lot of code and took a long time to make, so I hope you like it as much as i do I’ve had a blast playing against bots with it. I guess in a way it’s a few weapons in one, it shows too, it’s got more classes than all the other weapons i’ve made combined. Also, if you could, post me some screenshots and videos.